Thursday 20 October 2011

Adventures in Baby-Led Weaning Part 4

So Charlie is now 7 months old. We've been doing baby-led weaning for about 5 weeks, and it's pretty cool how he definitely loves some things, definitely does not love others, and is on the fence about even more, ha ha.

We can honestly say he's our kid. Both Alex and I are huge meat eaters, and so is Charlie. He devours every piece of meat we give him. He's had the following:

Chicken
Pork (both ground pork in spaghetti sauce and pork chops)
Ham
Bacon
Beef (ground beef and steak/roast/stew)
Haddock
Scallops
Partridge

So far his favorite vegetable is carrots. He's tried peas, green beans, turnip and broccoli as well. He wasn't a fan of the green beans or peas, but he did eat some turnip and broccoli without spitting it all out, so I guess he likes them. He also will eat potatoes, but he makes faces whenever I give him some. LOL. He'd prefer them in the form of french fries, but he can't eat those all the time, ha ha!

He didn't like bananas when I had him try them, but he does love banana muffins, so I'll try him on banana again when I get groceries next. He also likes peaches, which makes him more like Alex than me (I hate peaches, I have always hated peaches...Mom even wrote it in my baby book). Soon we'll be trying apple, pineapple and maybe pears.

We gave him a bit of chocolate ice cream the other night. I wish I had been able to get his reaction on camera. It was hilarious. He's never had anything cold before, so the ice cream was a shock. He made this really "OMG BRAIN FREEZE!" face, but once he got used to it, he loved it. He also had a little bit of white cake and frosting last night and of course loved both.

I don't know if I'm going about it the wrong way or not, but when it comes to meat, I actually break off really small pieces and put them in his mouth myself right now. If I don't, he will put the entire thing in his mouth and I don't like that. I know he needs to learn how much he can fit in his mouth, but I figure we'll get there as he gets older, and we have lots of time. We're definitely in no rush, as I want him to still get most of his nutrients from breast milk.

It's definitely awesome watching him try new things and see the faces he makes when he tries them. He pretty much makes the same face for everything, but the only things he's really spit back out are the banana, the green beans and the peas. LOL.

Guess we must be doing something right. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment