Thursday 6 October 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

This is my mother's recipe. I'm not sure where she got it. I can, however, tell you that I hate zucchini, but I absolutely love this cake. So it must be good.

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Mix above ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

3/4 cup soft butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini (unpeeled)
1/2 to 1 cup milk (optional)

Beat together butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and zucchini. Alternately stir dry ingredients with milk into the zucchini mixture.

Pour into greased and floured 10 inch tube pan or 2 loaf pans. Bake in a 350f oven for 1 hour (50 minutes for loaf pans).

Glaze:

2 cups icing sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together and beat until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake.

*Mom doesn't cook with salt any more than I do, so she probably didn't use the full teaspoon of salt. Also, she says the milk is optional because the zucchini is usually moist enough, but if it's not you would add some milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment