Saturday 3 January 2015

Herb and Spice Chicken

We found this recipe in the December 2014 issue of Today's Parent magazine, decided to make it today and absolutely LOVED it.

2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 chicken legs (or 6 thighs)
1 500g bag baby red potatoes, scrubbed clean
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped.

1. Stir brown sugar with salt, oregano, paprika, garlic and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Rub mixture all over chicken, pressing gently so spices stick to skin.

2. Arrange potatoes and carrots in a single layer in slow cooker. Place chicken on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Let chicken stand at room temp for 10 minutes before serving with vegetables.

NOTES: I don't have kosher salt, so I used regular table salt and only used maybe 1 tsp. I did not have baby red potatoes, so I used 3 regular potatoes, peeled and cut into baby-potato sized pieces. I also did not have 4 carrots left, so I used what I had, which was 2. And finally, we prefer a crispier skin on our chicken, so Alex took the tip in the book and put the chicken under the broiler for about 5 minutes after it was done in the slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment