Sunday 19 February 2012

Vegetable Mash Casserole

I found this recipe in a magazine we got in the mail, and decided to give it a try. I didn't follow the recipe exactly, so what I will do is provide the recipe as it was printed in the magazine and then detail what I did differently.

4 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
1 cup carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
1 cup cauliflower, cut into large pieces
1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups provolone cheese, diced
2 tablespoon parsley, freshly chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup breadcrumbs

In a large saucepan, boil some salted water
Add vegetables (potatoes, carrots and cauliflower) and cook 20 minutes or until tender
Preheat oven to 400F
Drain vegetables, add onion and garlic, then mash thoroughly with a potato masher
Add butter, 1/2 cup cheese and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mash again.
Spread mixture into a 9" baking dish (round or square)
Cover with remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs
Bake 10 minutes to melt the cheese and serve

Differences: Instead of the cauliflower, I used broccoli (because Alex and I both hate cauliflower), instead of the provolone, I used old cheddar, I used dried parsley flakes instead of fresh, I used 3 cloves of garlic instead of 2, and I did not use any salt or pepper. I also didn't really measure anything: I used 4 medium/large potatoes, 3 good sized carrots and one bunch of broccoli. I also don't have a 9" baking dish, so I used our large casserole dish and it worked quite well.

Verdict: Alex hasn't tried it yet, but Charles and I absolutely loved it. It's a fantastic way to get someone who doesn't like broccoli to eat it (I'm not a huge fan, and this is now a way I will eat it willingly) and I will most definitely be making it again. It makes a lot.

ETA: Alex loved it as well. This is definitely going to be something we make again and again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment