Thursday 16 February 2012

Easy Mexican Casserole

A few months back, one of my FB friends, Brittany (someone I know due to a mutual love of all things DTBH) said in her status that she was making "Mexican Casserole" for supper that night. I was intrigued, and asked her for the recipe. It sat on a sticky note on my desktop since that day, waiting for the time when I decided to finally make it. The other day when I was making my meal plan for the next two weeks, I decided to do it. Tonight was the night. I have to say, it is absolutely delicious and was a total hit with myself, Alex and Charlie. Alex said the only things he'd change would be to have more tortilla chips and less sour cream.

1 lb lean ground beef
2 cups salsa
1 can chili beans, drained
3 cups crushed tortilla chips
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 small can black olives, drained (optional)
1/2 cup chopped tomato (optional)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350F.
In a skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain fat off.
Add salsa, stir, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
Stir in beans, heat through
Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish
Spread crushed tortilla chips on the bottom of the baking dish, then spoon the meat mixture on top of the chips.
Spread sour cream over the meat. Sprinkle with green onion, olives and tomatoes.
Top with the shredded cheese.
Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment