Saturday 2 March 2013

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

We were getting sick of banana or carrot muffins. So I looked up recipes for oatmeal muffins (preferably oatmeal WITH something else) and came across this recipe. Decided to give it a try tonight and they are quite yummy. They taste like apple crisp in muffin form, if that makes sense. They haven't passed Charlie's taste test yet, as he's in bed, but Alex and I like them.

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used all purpose because I don't buy whole wheat flour, ever)
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup buttermilk (recipe called for low-fat, but I couldn't get that, so I used regular)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup raisins (optional...and I hate raisins so I left them out)

Preheat oven to 400F.

Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with a nonstick cooking spray

In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl, combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. If putting raisins, fold them in at this point. Spoon evenly into muffin cups.

Bake 16-18 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment