Saturday 24 September 2011

Marinaded Beef Kabobs

So I had a package of stew meat, but didn't want to make a stew. So I found a recipe for a marinade on www.allrecipes.com and made shish kabobs instead. First, I'll give you the recipe for the marinade and then tell you everything I did.

1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely cracked black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine above ingredients. Mix well and then add cubed beef. Seal the bag and marinate in the fridge for 4-24 hours.

A couple of notes before I continue:

1. Use the low sodium soy sauce
2. Cut the amount of mustard in half
3. If you can find low sodium Worcestershire sauce, use it

I'm saying this because while we found it absolutely delicious, we did think it was a bit salty (and I used low sodium soy sauce) and a bit too mustardy. And as a note, I marinaded our meat for 20 hours.

Now, for the kabobs!


It's actually pretty simple. Cut your favorite veggies up and alternate them on skewers with the marinated beef. Broil on high for about 10 minutes, turning once during cooking. If you want (we didn't do this), use the left over marinade to baste the skewers at the half-way mark of cooking as well.


I will say this: I don't like making kabobs. I didn't cut the veggies up properly and they kept freaking breaking as I was trying to put them on the skewers. About drove me crazy. So don't make my mistake and ensure when you chop your veggies, you do it right so they don't break in half when you skewer them.

We served these with regular white minute rice and it was absolutely fantastic (aside from the bit too salty and mustardy for our tastes).

2 comments:

  1. It was yummy. :) We're definitely going to do it again, just not the kabobs. The marinade would be awesome for steak as well, so we'll probably end up doing that sometime.

    ReplyDelete